A Record Element is the output type used to generate an XML file. The Record Element allows the user to build out the node tree structure of an incoming XML data file. In the process, new tags may be added and existing tags from the data file can be modified with Functions, such as database lookups or concatenation of values. For background information on using XML with eFORMz, consult the following posts: Getting Started with XML and Working with XML Input
For more information on how to implement a record element, consult the following tutorial: Returning XML from a Project
The Node Tree
An incoming XML file will have a definite node structure of tagged data. To output an XML file, the Record Element must be used to restructure this node tree, making any adjustments to the existing arrangement as deemed appropriate.
1. To implement the Record Element, right click the form and select Add Record Element.
2. Enter a name.
(Default) The element will not repeat.
Enter a numeric value.
Repeat of variable
The element will repeat in relation to the instances of the variable selected from the drop-down menu.
3. The Record Element will appear in the Project window and the Form Viewer (the bottom pane of the Viewer window).
4. Right click the Record Element and select Add > Child element.
5. Enter a name for the child element.
6. To nest a child element within another one, right click the child element and select Add > Child element.
7. Enter a name for the child element. From the Repeat of variable drop-down menu, select the variable that this element is intended to express.
8. Right click the child element and select Add > Content.
9. Select the corresponding variable value from the Variable drop-down menu.
10. The Record Element will reflect the incoming data file’s node structure.
11. Continue adding elements as necessary.
12. To output the Record Element to an XML file, navigate to the eFORMz Main Menu and select Run > Output.
13. Name and save the file.
14. The Record Element will have generated an XML file.
An Attribute is a named definition that provides accompanying information about an element.
1. To add an Attribute, right click an element and select Add > Attribute.
2. Enter a name and select the variable from the drop-down menu for the attribute definition.
Adding Content to an Element defines that particular Element with a selected value.
1. To add Content to an Element, right click the Element and select Add > Content.
2. Select the corresponding Variable value from the Variable drop-down menu.
A Child Element is any Element nested underneath the Root, or Parent, Element at the beginning of a Record node tree. Child Element’s encapsulate raw data, as well as data that has been modified through Functions and Procedures performed on Variables.
1. To add a Child Element, right click the Record Element and select Add > Child element.
2. Enter a Name for the Child Element.